SCBC issues agenda for upcoming annual Planning Retreat
The Stephens County Board of Commissioners has released its agenda for the upcoming Annual Planning Retreat.
The planning retreat is scheduled for January 27, 2023, at 9 a.m. in the conference room at the Toccoa Airport.
The commission will discuss several departmental items including administration, building and grounds, county clerk, drug court, finance, fire department, human resources, marshals, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, public works, rescue unit, and sheriff.
Some topics of interest include a discussion regarding livestreaming the Stephens County Board of Commissioners meetings.
As WNEG News previously reported, Commissioner Chuck Wright and Chairman Dennis Bell are both interested in their meetings being livestreamed.
During the Stephens County Board of Commissioners’ special called meeting on January 3rd, Wright and Bell both brought up the topic.
Then during the Stephens County Board of Commissioner’s regular scheduled meeting on January 10, Bell again expressed interest in live steaming the meetings.
County Administrator Christian Hamilton told Bell that they now have more options to consider for live streaming.
The Commission will also discuss the New Elections Building.
As WNEG News previously reported, the county purchased the former Tabor Motor Company building in September to be the future location of the Stephens County Elections Office.
The county paid $350,000 for the South Pond Street building.
The Commission will also discuss a new building for the Eastanollee Fire Department.
Another item of interest, the Commission will discuss is amendments to the Land Use Ordinances.
As WNEG News previously reported, the county has been considering several changes to the land use ordinances since the middle of 2022.
Here is the proposed list, as discussed during the April 26, 2022 Stephens County Board of Commissioners meeting.
- Less than 1 acre in RS no farm animals.
- More than 1 acre in RS with no covenants and not an established subdivision can have farm animals. This will be as farm animals is defined in section 201 unless specific farm animals are named.
- Fencing for farm animals and setbacks in RS.
- Remove the requirement for a conditional use permit for poultry houses as long as they meet all district requirements in Section 502 6 and move that to a permitted use to Section 501 2.
- Section 402 5 is a duplicate of 402 4 and should be removed.
- Move the more intensive uses of Section 402 1 to conditional use or restrict to a certain minimum acreage.
- Add personal use gardens, orchards, apiaries to Section 801 as a permitted use.
- Section 1409 8 excluded for agriculture districts.
- Add show stock to Section 802 and define show stock.
- Discrepancy between minimum lot area in Section 923 and 924.
- Change the title of Section 924 to Minimum Acreage.
- Add maximum stay length to Travel Trailer Park.
- Internet sales as a permitted use in section 801.
- Remove “feed lots” in Section 402 and anything else that is not appropriate for AR.
- Define “feed lot.”
- Setbacks listed from state highways excessive in commercial and change measure from center of roadway instead of edge of right of way in Definitions of “Setback Front.”
- Allow accessory building to be constructed prior to the principal building in Section 1409.
- Add language that properties are subject to compliance with all other county codes and ordinances where not in conflict with this section.
- Planning Commission to have more final approval authority.
- Some variances approved by Planning Director.
Again, the Stephens County Board of Commissioners will meet on January 27th for its annual Planning Retreat at the Toccoa-Stephens County Airport beginning at 9:00 a.m. The public is invited to attend.